Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Journal #3 - Irony of Education

Why is it that in North America, students tend to take school and education for granted? Why do we treat school like a regular every day activity, and not a priviledge to society and ourselves? The answer is simple, and unfortunately because we live in a world where nothing but water seperates us. People outside of North America generally do not have the priviledges that we do with education, or anything else for that matter.

Places like the Middle East in general, and parts of Africa do not have the educational priviledges we do. They live in poverty, unlike us with a somewhat sustainable lifestyle (aside from the recession). The North American school system is very well sustained and used amongst the continent, and I only wish the places of a less fortunate standing economically and socially.

I think instead of trying to bring the kids to our education, and our country, we should be bringing the education to them. Building schools, hiring teachers, and going even further than that. Teach them their own culture, their languages, and even some of our own culture/language/etc.

Students in North America generally have not been over across "the pond" as they call it, and seen some of the things they live through. I know I haven't, and to tell you the truth, after the things I hear, and the things I see in pictures, I would hate to live over there. The things they go through cannot possibly be depicted in stories, or images or even videos. The things we can't see haunt them. The smell, the way things feel, their heartsbeating slower every day, dying from hunger, famine, disease. We cannot possibly fathom the things they go through, and all they want, is a school, food, clean water, clean clothes. We have all of those things, and we take them all for granted. We need to rethink our position in the world and either help the helpless, or stop complaining, because nobody listens to empty complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment