Without poetry, I'm sure the universe would fall into a chaotic world of suppressed memories of epic proportions, and soon shall be a paradox in the space time continuum. But I digress. Poetry is simply, one of the most magical things this universe holds. Its limits are endless, and its possibilities infinite.
Many people confuse poetry with simply lines and lines of rhyming and barrels filled with either happiness, hate, or any other emotion slammed down our throats. Well, sometimes it is, but it's also many other things. It's the true feelings we feel inside of us. Whether we write about something we know or don't know, or however much we try to lie about our emotions, they always seem to pour onto the paper like water.
I'm not going to lie, at this very moment, I couldn't name 5 poets I know, and like. I don't consider Shakespeare a poet, because he was more than a poet. He wrote plays, and instead of poems, he wrote epics (and I don't mean the term epic for narrative poems). He wrote tales that have been remembered longer than most stories in our world. Romeo & Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, the list goes on of classic tales that Shakespeare wrote, "back in the day.".
Without poetry, there wouldn't be music whether it be vocal, or instrumental. Instrumental music is a type of poetry without words. It's poetry of sounds that are very pleasant to the ears. Music has changed my life a lot, especially because I see myself as a musician playing multiple instruments. In that case, I guess I write poetry more than I think I do.
Poetry is how we express ourselves when we can't utter the words ourselves, whether we be too frightened, embarrassed, or too happy. If you like a girl, or guy, and you want to talk about or to them, maybe you can't talk to them because your frightened, because a lot of people have a hard time talking to girls they like. Write a poem about them, and maybe as your writing you may realize you don't know them enough, don't like them, or you might find the strength to talk to them when your finished. It's the same thing with anger. If your very angry at someone, and you don't want to get into an argument, or a fight, write about it. Write a song, a poem, or even a story if that's how you roll.
Most of the time I can't rhyme without a rhyming dictionary by my side, because you never know what words you could be missing. I've learned new words doing that. How many words can I rhyme with bird off the top of my head? Herd, nerd, word, etc. Here are some of the words I found in a rhyming dictionary; byrd, curd, gird, heard, jerde, spurred, etc. Also, the beauty of poetry is if you don't have a rhyme, you can break the boundaries and forget the rhyming scheme and just pour your mind onto a piece of paper. Then if you feel that it is very good, you can go back and edit it later to rhyme, look presentable and over all sound better than random words written on a piece of paper.

Mat,
ReplyDeleteThis is an outstanding entry... 5/5, 10/10, or 100/100. Take your pick.
i'll take… 5/5 :P
ReplyDelete